Apr 26, 2023
What does a dental hygienist do?
- Clean teeth and examine patients for signs of oral diseases, such as gingivitis and periodontitis
- Take and develop dental x-rays
- Apply preventive treatments, such as fluoride and sealants, to protect teeth from decay
- Educate patients on proper oral hygiene techniques and provide recommendations for home care
- Administer local anesthesia and nitrous oxide to patients as needed
- Document patient care and treatment plans in dental records
- Assist dentists with procedures, such as fillings and extractions
- Stay up-to-date on dental technology and industry trends
How much does a dental hygienist make?
The median annual wage for dental hygienists was $77,090 in May 2021. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $53,130, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $104,930.
Is dental hygienist a good career?
Employment of dental hygienists is projected to grow 6 percent from 2021 to 2031, about as fast as the average for all occupations. As the population ages and demand for dental services increases, the need for dental hygienists is expected to grow.